LOWEST PRICE GUARANTEE
At a glance...
- Cruises in Raja Ampat and Komodo
- Maximum of 10 guests only (13 for full charter)
- Cabin for single traveller
- Rebreather and tech diving compatibility
- Steel hulled exploration boat with electric dive lift
Click on an image to enlarge
MV Empress II is a unique budget liveaboard option in Indonesia. This is a rough and ready option, built for exploration, wreck and technical diving, offering great dives in Raja Ampat and the Komodo National Park.
These trips are not aimed at tech divers but at general recreational divers on a budget. Tech trips are operated by Empress II in the Java Sea. This is a steel-hulled 24m long motor yacht which can take 10 divers (13 for full charter) in a range of 5 lower deck cabins, mostly with shared bathrooms. Socialising and dining activities can take place in the liveaboard's open-air shaded area, shish lounge, wheel room and sundeck. Saloon entertainment facilities include TV, DVD, music system and computer. Guests can also relax on sun mats or bean bags to work on their tan.
There are many unusual features on MV Empress II including an electric dive lift, rebreather compatibility, long hoses and a defibrillator. However such features do not suggest that this is a deluxe liveaboard option. It is a simple, no-frills cruise option for those on a tight budget who want to dive some of the awesome Indonesian dive sites in Raja Ampat and Komodo National Park.
Scheduled departures, prices, destinations, durations...
More Trip Details...
Dive experience: The standard minimum is 12 logged dives and AOWD licence. In case of more challenging trips like Sorong-Triton Bay and Ambon-Maumere, a minimum of 30 dives and AOWD licence is the standard.
Cruise price per person includes: Cabin accommodation, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, drinking water, hot drinks, transfers to/from the boat from airport and nearest hotels, dives (as detailed in the trips above), experienced English-speaking divemaster(s), tanks, weights and weightbelts.
Cruise price per person excludes (mandatory, unless customer provides own): Nitrox for EANx-certified divers (US$ 5 per fill), scuba equipment (US$ 30 basic set per day), dive insurance, harbor & national park fees (approx. US$ 120 Komodo, US$ 100 Ambon, US$ 250 Banda Neira harbour fee, US$ 220 Raja Ampat National Park fee per person). 15 Lt tank (US$ 5 per tank). Unless otherwise stated, all the listed items need to be paid on arrival (cash only).
Optional extras: Alcoholic drinks, soft drinks, torches, dive computer, SMB recommended. Unless otherwise stated, all the listed items need to be paid on arrival.
How to get there: Komodo:MV Empress II operates from Labuan Bajo. You can fly direct to Labuan Bajo from Bali. For more information see our travel information section. The last dive of the tour will be at around 14:30 hrs on the second last day of the cruise. Please wait at least 18 hours before flying after diving.
Raja Ampat: The liveaboard departs in the afternoon from Sorong in West Papua. You can fly directly to Sorong from Jakarta, Ujung Pandang (Makassar) and Manado. From Bali there are convenient connections via Ujung Pandang (Makassar) and Manado. We will help you arrange return domestic flights between Bali or Jakarta and Sorong. Triton Bay: Cruises beginning or ending here use the port of Kaimana in the south of West Papua, which you can fly to from Ujung Pandang (via Ambon), or from Sorong. Flores: Fly direct to the port of Maumere from Bali (or via Makassar from Jakarta or Kuala Lumpur). Ambon/Banda: Fly direct to Ambon from Jakarta (or from Sorong or Surabaya). There is a transfer service from the local airport to and from the boat. For more information see our travel information section. The last dive of the trip will be at around 12 noon on the second last day of the trip. Please wait at least 18 hours before flying after diving.
Non-diver rate: 10% off the published price.
Single supplement (if you do not want to share accommodation): There is a single bed cabin on this boat. Otherwise, this is optional - single travellers may choose to share another cabin or pay a supplement of 90% of the published price.
Dive clubs and group discounts: Whole boat charter prices are equivalent to: Pay for 8 divers and an additional 2 divers can go free of charge (total 10 divers).
Whole boat charter rate (per night): Komodo: US$ 1,429 (9-10 guests), US$ 2,000 (10 guests).
Cabins, Berths, Showers, Bathrooms...
M/V Empress II normally accommodates 10 guests (13 full charter) in a variety of 5 lower deck cabins. 1 ensuite cabin with 1 double and 1 single bed (Cabin D). 2 cabins with 1 double and 1 single bunk bed (Cabins B & C), 1 cabin with 3 single beds (Cabin A) and 1 single bed cabin (Cabin E) which share 1 bathroom and guests can use the shower on the dive deck. All cabins have air-conditioning and portholes.
All the cabins have:
- Air-conditioning (individually controlled, except Cabin E and D share an air conditioner)
- Cooling fan
- Portholes in all cabins
- Shared bathroom with hot-water shower, hand basin, towels & toiletries (except Cabin D)
- Reading light
- Cabinet, shelves & mirror
- 24-hour, 220v electricity supply. 2 pin European-style plugs. Adaptors available
- Fire extinguishers
- Life jackets
Crew, Facilities, Dive Courses...
The crew of 5 comprises:
- Cruise Leader/ Instructor
2 Motorised dinghies - 15m² Dive deck with toilet and 2 dive platforms - Rinse tanks - Separate rinse tank and table for cameras - 24m² Wheel room (saloon with TV, DVD and sound system and fan) - Open-air dining area - Computer with CD burner - Movie and book library, games and magazines - Fish ID and diving books - Well stocked bar - Water dispenser - 2 Open-air shaded areas one on the sun deck with bean bags - 20m² Sun deck with sun chairs and mattresses
Menu, Cuisine Type...
On each Komodo cruise you can expect at least 2 BBQs, one of which will be served on the beach with a combination of fish, chicken, salads and different salsas.
- International and local specialities and BBQs are the themes varied on diving safaris.
- Main meals comprise breakfast, lunch and dinner with snacks in between.
- Drinking water, soft drinks, tea and coffee, toast and fruit are free of charge.
- Beer, wine and spirits are available as additional extras.
- The menus are not fixed and meals are served buffet style al fresco in the open-air dining area.
- Vegetarian, halal and other special diets are catered for with prior notice.
- Catering starts with lunch on cruise check-in day.
- Built in 2010, upgraded in 2016, refurbished annually
- Size - 28m x 6m
- Top speed - 12 knots
- Cruising speed -10 knots
- 2 x 232 HP Yamaha engine
- 2 x 25 KW generators
- 2 x Coltri-Sub dive tank compressors
- Enriched air nitrox, trimix and long hoses
- 12 litre aluminium tanks with Int. valves & DIN adaptors
- 10 x twin sets and rebreather support
- Electricity 220v - 24 hours per day
- Water capacity - 5,000 litres
- Freshwater maker - 2,400 per day
- Fuel capacity - 22,000 litres
- Environmental storage tank
Navigation, Safety Features...
- 2 Motorised dinghies
- 2 x 12 person capacity life rafts
- Marine radio
- Furuno GPS
- Telstra satellite & mobile phones
- Underwater radar and side sonar 3D
- Bilge pump alarm
- Searchlight and horn
- Emergency lights / signal devices
- Life jackets in cabins / utility room
- Fire extinguishers in engine room, kitchen, dive deck, bridge
- MFA box and trained staff
- 2,400 litres of oxygen on board